Rail Budget is here and here are the top 5 things which needs to be seen by Indians.
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu, who has effectively turned Twitter in a vast customer service organization, is focusing heavily on technology to improve the Railways operations, revenue and the service it provides to the users.
Here are five of the bets the Minister is placing
1) Innovation grants: The Railways is setting aside Rs 50 crore to provide innovation grants to employees, startups and small businesses that are working on technology that the railways could use.
2) Analytics: The Railways will set up a team called ‘Special Unit for Transportation Research and Analytics’ to carry out detailed analytics leading to optimized investment decisions and operations.
— Doordarshan News (@DDNewsLive) February 25, 2016
3) Strategic R&D: The Railways will set up a Special Railway Establishment for Strategic Technology & Holistic Advancement that will focus on long-term research
4) Drones: The Minister said the Railways would deploy drones and geo-spatial satellite technology to track the physical completion of projects. He said these would first be deployed on the dedicated freight corridor that is being built.
5) Monetizing databases: The Minister said the railways would look at monetizing its vast database of customer information. He added that monetization would keep in mind the need for privacy.